writing without direction.

tonight I suddenly want to write my feeling about things going on in my life for last few months. I've been just 4 months in this neighbor country but I've learned loads of important things for my life. Anyway, from now on, I would try to write my thoughts in English for the sake of my friends who do not understand bahasa and for my english improvement as well! So, pardon my inferior written english :).

This night, I just passed the my apartment's security post, saying 'Hi' to the security.
He then said "Good Evening".
Wew, surprised a little bit, I replied him "Good night or evening?".
"Good evening, you say good night when you wanna go to sleep."
"Oh okay, good evening then *smiling*"
I just knew that you greet a person with 'good evening' when it is still 9 pm. lol.. I usually greet people with "Good night" since it is 7 pm. *feel somehow ashamed*

I just realized that I am able to make friends with many type of people. I'm a 'nice' person. Yeah, it's good to be a nice person though being it has a flip side. Being a 'nice' person is not easy, you have to appreciate, or agree, to most of that person's argument although you have opposing argument against theirs. and as a result, I didn't develop my arguing skill well (I regret not joining CEF, Canisius English Forum, when I was in high school). However, the question arises:"are being a nice person and an argumentative person mutually exclusive?"

I feel fortunate (or it's destiny maybe) to have such a course called Analytical skills, which teaches me how to perceive and solve the problems with a different way, with a skillful instructor and Communication (im taking it next term), an imperative course for me since my english skill is below average for SMU students. furthermore, I learned a lot from my friend. He's a debater from Raffles JC (The best Junior College in Singapore. From him, I learned that debating skill is crucial in your life. I feel that I'm a different Edgar now, although I still can improve a lot, in perceiving the problem and other's arguments.

In SMU, there's a class participation which encourages the student to talk in the class. At first I was very timid to participate due to my inferior spoken english skill. Later, I encouraged myself to talk even though my english is poor and my content of speaking is rubbish. WILLING to participate is prioritized bro! nyahaha..

I realized that my friend, the debater, is good enough in debating because of his perpetual effort in exercising his skill. He was like me too, a poor debater, but after he had experienced a lot of debate events, then he could be like this. He said that he does not always win the debate, however, sometime when your argument is attacked with a 'checkmate' situation, then you learned why is your argument is vulnerable and how to modify it. The same thing happens for the SMU number 1 pool player. He put a lot of effort and time to practice his pool skill and as a result he became a good pool player. I was amazed with these 2 guys.. They are committed to one skill and ace it. I should learn that too!!

I'm thinking about making article about "why there's such a good business school while most people in Indonesia assume that engineering is the preferable major to take?"

dunno when to start writing this article haha.

posted by edgar @ 9:18 PM,

2 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger SC said...

Hei Gar.. =)
Long time no read your writting haha..it's a pleasure tho..

well, just want to give u some input, as usual.. "bertukar pikiran" hehehe.. ^_^

First, Being a "nice" person does NOT mean that you have to "agree" other's opinion. It is "pretend", Edgar..not nice..you have to know the difference hehe.. *No offense lho gar*
Actually, it will be better if you "appreciate" and "welcome" to other's opinion with an open mind, but you can still communicate your own argument in a neutral way.. so it won't give them any hard feelings. instead, maybe you can give them some new point of view.. Besides, knowing different opinion can give us more knowledge because we could "see from another eyes".. understand what i mean, gar? =)
so, the answer is : a nice person can give their argument in proper ways at the proper time.

Second, who said that engineering is the preferable major to take in Indonesia? hehehe.. it is from the Canisius student's side i think, not in general. coz most of your friends are like that, rite? hehe..

The truth is, business is very common to most people in the world, including Indonesia. and it is unavoidable confession that business is very important.. But because it is so common recently, lots of people want to seek a rare one, coz they think there will be more opportunity in that "not common" one..
Another factor is the importance of technology in the future, and engineering is closely related to technology.

Anyway, no matter what major you take, you'll still end up with business, rite? at least, your job's economic side.. =b hehehe..

well, gud luck for your study, Gar.. don't give up the fight, ok!
GBU.. ^_^

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wadooo inggris lu makin cadas aja..
*plok plok plok*
trus vocab makin gahar juga, tsktsktskkk. kyknya blog gw perlu mengalami perkembangan nih..
sip lah, keep writing yo gar! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home